Baptismal gowns

My friend asked me to make baptismal gowns for their twin boys, who were baptized this All Saints’ Day. We chose Ginger Snaps Designs “Brantley” day gown pattern, a lovely white-on-white striped shirting material, and a crochet-style lace and ribbon trim. The pattern was coming together quite nicely, very straightforward.

IMG_0444

But we were having trouble achieving the plain wide satin hem she wanted. This blanket binding was too coarse, with a manufactured edge that seemed too inelegant for this application, and neither of the laces I had on hand seemed a good alternative.

IMG_0447

We couldn’t find a satin material we liked, but this satin ready-made ruffle seemed at the store like it might work, along with this shimmery lace trim, but it too had that inelegant edge and was rather stiff and thick, making the gown look like it had a hoop skirt.

IMG_0452

The solution was a ruffle made from the same shirting material on the bias.

IMG_0465

I had thought I would embroider a cross on each gown, but my embroidery skills are better suited to very simple doll faces and writing my name in my choir robe. Instead I crocheted some to appliqué.

IMG_0467

Rosary rosary

I had restrung my rosary countless times (well, probably fewer than ten) and finally figured out the best way to knot it so that it would stay tight, and the best thread so that it wouldn’t just wear and tear in two weeks, and then snagged it on a wire fence. By this time I had run out of good enough leftover beads (many of these stone beads are dimpled on the side or chipped at the holes). Couldn’t find any more at the area craft stores, hemmed and hawed, and decided on these two strands — red tiger eye and fancy jasper. Right now I like the jasper better, but the hematite crucifix is kind of heavy and large.

Rosaries and supplies.

IMG_0331

IMG_0332

IMG_0337

T-shirt dress

Amy tie-dyed this adult-size t-shirt at Earthworks camp last summer. I finally got around to turning it into a dress for her. I cut off the body of the t-shirt at the bottom of the sleeves, then used an existing dress to cut arm holes on the top. Then, of course, I carefully sewed the skirt to the wrong side of the top. After picking out that seam, I did it again the right way. Turned a narrow hem on the armholes and stitched it down. Ta da!

IMG_0119

IMG_0121