I tried the mixer today. Oiled it, cleaned it as best I could in a short time, and made cookies.
I used this recipe, except I subbed butter for the shortening and, since I didn’t have enough maple syrup, used both maple syrup and honey.
Creaming the butter was fine — even got the bowl rotating after a while.
Adding the egg was not so fine. A paste of butter about an eighth of an inch thick got spread on the side of the bowl, and it seemed to take forever of scraping down and feeding it to the beaters before it got incorporated. Wish I’d thought to take a picture of this part. I gave up before forever, and went ahead with the other ingredients.
I wasn’t sure about the flour, because the dough already looked a little dry and stiff — wanted to make sure I gave the mixer enough power so I used a higher speed, and of course got dusted a little. One small section of the bowl had some unincorporated flour, probably because the mass of dough was just before that section and the mixer threw the bowl around after getting through the dough. No smells or obvious struggling, so I suppose it was okay. Once everything was incorporated, the beaters spread the dough thickly on the sides of the bowl. And again I forgot to take a picture before scraping it down.
I added in the nuts by hand.
I wasn’t expecting the cookies to stay spherical; they’re more like shortbread than like your typical oatmeal cookie. Tasty, though. They’d be good with coconut, and / or cocoa.
The mixer needs some more serious cleaning to remove ancient cooking grease in the vents and wrinkles and such. And it would be nice to eventually have the paint touched up — especially on the turntable, which is all rusted in and around the ring that holds the bowl.