So the quilt we bought for Amy from Sears at Christmastime for half-price (and we still thought it expensive) has already started coming apart at some seams.
I’ve managed to avoid quilting for so long, hating cutting and ironing the most out of all aspects of sewing, but the thought of something I designed and made, for perhaps the same or less money than I could buy something that would be decently made, won me over.
Since it’s my first quilt (I’ve done bits of patchwork, but not this big), I’m trying to stay fairly simple: big 15″ blocks, some of them unpieced. Here’s the design, pasted with pictures of the fabrics I ordered:
Here are said fabrics, having all arrived safely, before their trip through the washer and dryer.
And here’s a partial layout, now that I’ve finished cutting the pieces out.
Did I mention I hate cutting fabric? It’s hard enough cutting out garment pattern pieces when there’s some nice pattern tissue pinned in place as a guide. Here I have to rely on rulers and a rotary cutter and a cutting mat that is only 16.5″ by 10.5″. I messed up cutting the blue and white diagonal print — measured incorrectly. As a result, the four center squares are going to have to be pieced out of strips — of course I did this on the fabric with the biggest, most obvious pattern, so that it will be next to impossible to make it appear seamless. Oh well. Now that I’ve done the layout, I find I don’t mind the wonkiness as much as I thought I would.
Oh, and tonight I discovered that the K-mart yardstick does not match up with the old meter stick and my cutting mat. It’s good until about 8″, and then it’s just ever so slightly too long in its inches. Humph.
I haven’t decided yet how I will quilt this thing, since I don’t have a long-arm machine. I could try quilt as you go, but using strips instead of blocks — I’d have to do some math to see if I have enough of the backing fabric (perhaps plus scraps of the other fabrics) to do that. Otherwise, it’s either hire out the quilting bit or quilt it by hand. Hmmm.