1. So many food things — like the little pastry treats from piecrust trimmings, pumpkin pie on my March birthday, or spaghetti sauce canned for college.
2. Help and sympathy, like on the occasion of two breakups in high school or heading out in the wee hours the night we brought Amy home.
3. Passing on domestic arts like dusting, knitting, sewing, and how to properly make a bed.
4. All the chauffeuring of the pre-license years: friends’ houses, activities like soccer and softball, and so on.
5. Giving a wide range of choice for college — and all the back and forth, packing, unpacking, plus visits and care packages.